Rochester City School District, School #42, Rochester, NY

Rochester City School District, School #42, Rochester, NY

Created by Rochester City School District, School #42, Rochester, NY

Artists: Faith, Aniyah, Neveah

Title: The 1% versus the 99%

Teacher: Mrs. Graham

Theme: Equality

Materials and techniques: We used canvas, acrylic paint and foam. Neveah and Faith painted the water and sky. Aniyah drew the boats and everyone helped paint them in. Neveah glued on the foam to represent waves in the water.

Did you enjoy this project? We worked on this project in the art room during our lunch time. It was fun to work on a project during lunch and this was an important art project.

About: Our theme was “What inequalities do people face today?” We had a list of different ideas and pictures from the internet. We liked this image because it was fun to recreate in paint and its an important inequality that we face today. 1% of the population controls the majority of the wealth. The rest of us are in the 99 percent of not having as much money. We think it should be more equal.

Created by Rochester City School District, School #42, Rochester, NY

Artists: Nashaly, Cailee, D’Kedreiana, Hannah

Title: Homeless in America

Teacher: Mrs. Graham

Theme: Equality

Materials and techniques: We cut out trees and tents from fabric. We used sharpie markers to draw pictures of poor people living in the tents.

Did you enjoy this project? We worked on this during lunch in the art room. It was a fun project and an important project to work on. We don’t want anyone to be homeless.

About: Our theme was “What inequalities do people face today?” We chose to create a picture about homelessness. We have a tent city in Rochester where poor people live in tents.

Created by Rochester City School District, School #42, Rochester, NY

Artists: Nashaly, Cailee, D’kedreiana, Hannah

Title: Opportunity Gap is Increasing

Teacher: Mrs. Graham

Theme: Equality

Materials and techniques: We used fabric and sharpie markers. We drew pictures of our basic needs: food, shelter (housing) and clothing.

Did you enjoy this project? We enjoyed working on this project. It was fun to work on. We want to change everything. We want homeless people to live in houses, we want people to have enough food to eat and clothing to wear.

About: Our theme was “What inequalities do people face today?” We looked at a list of different inequalities people face today. We thought the Opportunity Gap is an important one. Food, Shelter and Clothing are basic needs we need to survive. Many children live in poverty and their basic needs are not being met. Education is supposed to be a way to get out of poverty but poor students don’t always have the same access to a good education as rich students because of where they live.

Created by Rochester City School District, School #42, Rochester, NY

Artists: Mayelis, Kaitlyn, Heather, Marialys, Alexis

Title: 1 in 5 Children Live In Poverty

Teacher: Mrs. Graham

Theme: Equality

Materials and techniques: We used patriotic fabric and sharpie markers. We helped each other draw and color in the five children.

Did you enjoy this project? We had fun coming to the art room for lunch each day and working on this project. No one should have to live in poverty.

About: Our theme is “What inequalities do people face today?” Our art teacher had some patriotic fabric so she helped us make the United States of America with it. We drew five children, representing different races and gender. One child is sad because he represents a child living in poverty. This child represents the 15 million children living in poverty in America.